To help you get the most out of your purchases, we have put together a few tips about how to look after your vintage clothing.
- Store clothes out of direct sunlight to prevent colours from fading
- Keep them somewhere dust and damp free to prevent damage to fibres
- Store somewhere where the air can get to them rather than in bin bags!
- Use wooden or covered hangers. Wire hangers can cause clothing to become misshapen and possibly leave rust marks
- Wash vintage items as infrequently as possible. Hand wash items that are pre-1960s or better yet, just air them.
- Don’t wash items that are embroidered or made of silk or satin
- Try not to wear clothes and shoes day in, day out. Alternate with other clothes and shoes so they have time to air and don’t wear out quickly
- Repair small tears straight away to avoid them getting bigger